Ali’s home-grown TOP TIPS for working from home. In this current economic climate, a lot more of us will now have to work from home: and…. it’s actually harder than you think to self-motivate, ignore those household chores, not turn on the TV for a quick look, make another cuppa, just re-plant that plant in the garden, look out of the window in a trance because there is nobody there to say stop. The list goes on.
I have been self-employed and working from home since 2011. Got to say that I love it. But I am very motivated (well, most of the time). And do follow some strict rules that work for me. Here are some top tips for working from home:
- Set your alarm as you normally would to go to your office and get up…. Don’t press that snooze button;
- Go ahead with your normal morning routine. Breakfast, gym, a run or cycle ride, dog walk or just catching up on your own social media, the news (not the depressing stuff);
- Get ready for work. No lounging in your PJ’s or dressing gown. The right clothes set your mind on the right track – professional/business. WORK;
- Allocate a space to work from. Don’t stick your laptop/desktop on the living room coffee table, on your bed, or anyway else you can “slouch”. I know we don’t all have a spare office or room that can be used but try to make sure that you can walk away from your new “home-work place”; you have to be able to switch off;
- Take coffee breaks, stretch your legs – your normal working day begins;
- Take a lunch break – do as you would normally do at your company’s office. A walk, read, meditate. Following your normal routine is key!
- Stop working at the usual time. It can be very hard to stop work – but you must. We already live in a busy 24/7 working environment; you must Switch off.
So that’s it. Sounds simple, but this can be harder for some than others. It took me some time to find my routine. So glad I have one now.
Here if you need anything – just ask! mailto:email@example.com